|Java Edition version history|
|◄ 1.3.1 • 1.4.2 • 1.5 ►|
1.4.2, the first release of the Pretty Scary Update, was an update for Minecraft: Java Edition, released on October 25, 2012, which added four new mobs (witches, bats, zombie villagers, and wither skeletons), wearable and placeable heads, a new boss (The Wither), the command block, three new foods (potatoes, carrots, and pumpkin pies), carrots on sticks to control pigs, and new decoration items.
As a play on words, this update included several new pretty utility-type additions, and several scary-themed mobs.
There were 15 snapshots and two pre-releases for 1.4.2.
Blocks & Items
- Cobblestone Walls
- Item Frames
- Command Blocks
- Flower Pots
- Wooden Buttons
- Carrot on a Stick
- Pumpkin Pie
- Nether Star
- Potions of Night Vision and Invisibility
/difficulty– changes difficulty
/difficulty 0= peaceful
/difficulty 1= easy
/difficulty 2= normal
/difficulty 3= hard
/clear– clears a player's entire inventory or remove only one block/item from it
/spawnpoint– sets the player's own or other players' spawn point to where they are standing or to specified coordinates
/spawnpoint [player] [<x> <y> <z>]
/w– an alias for
/weather– changes the current weather and optionally sets the duration for the new weather in seconds.
/weather <clear/rain/thunder> [duration in seconds]
/gamerule <gamerule> <true/false>
- doFireTick – whether fire should spread. Defaults to true.
- doMobLoot – whether mobs should drop item. Defaults to true.
- doMobSpawning – whether mobs should naturally spawn. Defaults to true.
- doTileDrops – whether blocks should have drops. Defaults to true.
- keepInventory – whether the player should keep their inventory items upon death. Defaults to false.
- mobGriefing – whether creepers, endermen, withers and villagers should be able to change blocks. Defaults to true.
- Added command target selectors
@p- closest player
@a- all players
@r- random player
- Villagers have a chance of turning into zombie villagers after being killed by a zombie in Hard difficulty.
- Zombie spawn eggs have a chance to spawn zombie villagers.
- Zombie Villagers can naturally spawn.
- Zombie Villagers can be cured, turning into regular villagers.
- New "villages.dat" file in the data file of world saves.
- Villagers now react positively on new trades, and negatively if harmed by a player.
- Added an unused particle effect of a villager's face with an angry expression.
- Villagers will no longer remove trades, but making a new trade may be required to renew old ones.
- Zombies, skeletons, and zombified piglins sometimes spawn wearing equipment such as enchanted weapons and any armor, depending on the level of difficulty.
- Added a zombie attack animation when it holds a weapon.
- Iron Golems now attack slimes and magma cubes.
- Sheep from spawn eggs can now spawn naturally-colored sheep (white, gray, brown, pink, etc.).
- Mobs can go through portals.
- Stairs now auto-arrange into corners.
- Added arrow-sensitive wooden buttons.
- Added working Night Vision potion in Creative inventory.
- Leather armor can now be dyed.
- Item frames crashes fixed.
- Added Wither painting.
- Fixed /me command only working for ops.
- Fixed /tell command.
- /xp can now give and take entire experience levels by appending "L" to the number.
- /tp works with relative coordinates.
- Items spawned with /give are picked up almost instantly now.
- The attribution of the quote at the end of the credits changed from "Mark Twain" to "Unknown".
- Easier to adjust maps.
- F3+P will toggle the auto-pause when the window loses focus (for debugging).
- F3+H will toggle detailed item descriptions (for debugging).
- Tweaked the "hidden feature".
- Superflat world type is now customizable and made of layers specified with block ID, data value, and height.
- Biome can be changed now.
- Generation settings are stored in a preset, which is shareable and re-usable.
- Terrain can now be decorated and structures other than villages can spawn.
- 8 default presets.
There was one pre-release for 1.4.4.
Released on November 19, 2012, 1.4.5 fixed some bugs and crashes from 1.4.4.
There was one pre-release for 1.4.5.
There were three snapshots for 1.4.6.
Released on January 9, 2013, 1.4.7 fixed some bugs and crashes from 1.4.6.
There was one pre-release for 1.4.7.
- This was the first update to have a name.