1.6.1, the first release of the Horse Update, was a major update for Java Edition, released on July 1, 2013. This update added many new features including horses, leads, blocks of coal, carpets, new commands, resource packs (replacing Texture packs), and a new Minecraft Launcher.
|Java Edition version history|
|◄ 1.5 • 1.6 • 1.7 ►|
- A new resource pack system to replace texture packs. It contains:
- Fonts (partially)
- Language file
- End Credits
- End Poem
- Splash texts
- Block of Coal
- Hay bale
- Terracotta (and various "stained" variations; known as hardened clay at the time of release)
- Spawn egg (for horses)
/spreadplayers– spreads certain players from an origin point.
/playsound– play sounds to the player, with the ability to change the pitch and/or volume.
- naturalRegeneration – toggles natural health regeneration.
- doDaylightCycle – toggles the day-night cycle.
- No longer supports Java 5 or Power PC.
- Improvements to the chat/message system.
- Improvements to the Minecraft Launcher.
- Improvements to Minecraft Realms.
- Group-spawning mechanics fixed.
- Applying the name "Dinnerbone" to a name tag flips the mob upside-down.
- Changes to zombie combat and spawn mechanics.
- Sounds added to villagers.
- Spiders can spawn with active status effects.
- Horses can now wear saddles.
- Golden apple crafting recipe changed, they also now apply a regeneration effect.
- Glistering melon crafting recipe changed.
- Spawn eggs can now be placed on water.
- Flint and steel now lose durability properly.
- Retexturing of some items and blocks (charcoal, lapis lazuli block).
- Changes to the mechanics of redstone comparators.
- Command blocks cannot be mined/destroyed in survival mode.
- Lava mechanics have been improved.
- Health bar added for mounts and changes to the dismounting method.
- The "Respiration" enchantment now improves visibility underwater.
- Changes to mob difficulty.
- Added various tooltips in the Creative Mode inventory.
- The strength of some status effects has been decreased (instant health and regeneration).
- No longer possible to break blocks with a sword in creative mode.
- Changes to hunger and health regeneration.
Released on July 8, 2013, 1.6.2 was mainly a bug fix update.
Released on September 19, 2013, 1.6.4 was a minor update that fixed a bug where structures would not save with the world file. It also added the
player-idle-timeout option to the server.properties file.
- The specific incremental number for this update was actually 1.6.1.