Fishing provides a basic food supply as well as obtaining the item (fish) used to tame cats. Fishing will yield a small amount of experience whenever a fish or item is successfully caught. Players are more likely to catch a fish faster when it's raining (20% more) or by using an enchanted fishing rod (which can be found in the spoils of sunken ships) with an enchantment called, Lure. Possible fish that can be caught include cod (formerly named fish), tropical fish, pufferfish, and salmon. Cod and salmon can both be cooked, whereas a pufferfish can be used in Brewing. All fish can be eaten raw, but fish variations that can be cooked will restore more hunger. Tropical fish and Pufferfish can't be cooked and can only be eaten raw, with the latter always giving you the poison, nausea, and hunger effect when consumed. Many enchantments can be applied to the fishing rod, exclusively: Luck of the Sea and Lure. Lure increases the speed at which fish will be attracted to the rod, whereas Luck of the Sea increases the probability of finding fish or treasure rather than junk.
- Equip a fishing rod.
- Right-click (default settings) while facing a body of water. (This can be as small as one cubic block, though the casting method becomes more difficult as one's fishing area gets smaller.)
- Once the float has risen to the water's surface, watch for some bubble particles that will move towards the float and make it go underwater when they reach it.
- As soon as it "bobs" underwater, right-click again, and a fish or item should fly out of the water towards the player's feet. The fish or item will not always land at one's feet, as it will sometimes fall short or even fly over a player.
- Try to avoid fishing during nighttime or in dark areas, since this may decrease the speed of getting fish or items.
- Take advantage of when it's raining, as this will increase the chance of getting fish/items (20%), but the player must be aware of their surroundings, as hostile mobs will not burn when it is raining.
- Wait for the bubble particles to move toward the bobber. When it bobs, right-click it immediately to obtain the item.
Treasure and Junk
- Bow (Enchanted with the same probability as a level 30 enchant, but it allows for treasure enchantments; damaged.)
- Enchanted Book (Enchanted with the same probability as a level 30 enchant, but it allows for treasure enchantments.)
- Fishing Rod (Enchanted with the same probability as a level 30 enchant, but it allows for treasure enchantments; damaged.)
- Name Tag
- Lily Pad
- Nautilus Shell ( 1.13 - The Update Aquatic)
- Glass Bottle
- Rotten Flesh
- Leather Boots (Severely damaged and named "Old Boots" when selected.)
- Ink Sac
- Fishing Rod (Severely damaged)
- Tripwire Hook
- Fishing was able to be done in any body of water and was able to be done even on a single water block. This was often exploited to make “The AFK Fish Farm” (Outdated in Java Edition 1.16(Still works in Bedrock).
- The fishing rod is, strangely enough, the only tool (not to be confused with the bow) that can be found through fishing.
- In Console Editions, if you fish in a water block at Y=256, the block of water turns black and you can't take the fishing rod out.
- The String on the Fishing Rod becomes an entity when the line is cast out.