The igloo is a structure that generates in snow biomes, such as the snowy taiga and tundra, and it debuted in 1.9. It has a small room with a crafting table, furnace, and bed inside of it. Occasionally, under the carpet in the igloo, there will be a ladder that leads down to a secret room, sometimes referred to as the "basement." There are 2 cages with a villager and a zombie villager, both of which are priests (if prior to 1.14); a chest with a golden apple (and other loot); and a brewing stand with a splash potion of weakness in the basement. This is a possible method of introducing new players to curing zombie villagers using a potion of weakness and a golden apple. One can get the achievement Zombie Doctor very easily this way since they won't have to find the resources to make the required items to cure a zombie villager (as of 1.12, achievements were replaced with advancements in the Java Edition).
- Some stone bricks can also be a silverfish block. They cannot change locations every time an igloo with a basement generates because it is data-driven, rather than hard-coded like strongholds. Here are their respective locations:
- Bottom-right side of a ladder (mossy stone brick).
- Bottom-right (wall) and right side of a torch (ceiling), behind and under the brewing stand, column 3 and row 4 on the left, and upper-right of a chiseled stone brick that is located in the middle (stone bricks).
- The left side of a cauldron and middle of the basement's ceiling (chiseled stone bricks).
- Thus, there are a total of 9 monster eggs in an igloo's basement.
- There are no cracked stone bricks monster eggs within an igloo's basement, so this is the only variant that does not contain a silverfish until it enters into them.
- In certain versions of the game, if a silverfish entered into a chiseled stone brick, it will change its texture to stone like other stone brick variants.
- Igloos can spawn partially in the air, revealing the stone bricks surrounding the ladder.
- In earlier versions of update 1.9, there was a rare chance of the igloo spawning underground.
- This happens more often in snow hills or mountain biomes.