A potato is a farmable food source that was released in Java Edition 1.4.2 and Bedrock Edition Alpha 0.8.0. It is one of the six crops that grow on tilled farmland. Potatoes have three states: raw potatoes, baked potatoes, and poisonous potatoes. When planted, potatoes grow similarly to wheat. To plant potatoes, right-click on farmland with a potato in hand since the seed is the potato itself. When potatoes are cooked via a furnace/smoker/campfire, they will turn into baked potatoes.
A fully grown potato plant can drop up to four potatoes and have a 2% chance of additionally dropping a poisonous potato. Potatoes have a 0.8% chance of being dropped by a zombie when it is killed. Potato plants can be found on about 20% of village farmland plots.
- As of 1.9, potatoes can be used to breed pigs.
- Farmer villagers will accept 26 potatoes for an emerald.
- As of snapshot 18w11a, potatoes can be found inside shipwreck chests.
- Potatoes have a chance to raise the level of a composter by 1.
- The Potato and the Kelp are the only non-meat items that can be cooked.
- When using the Fortune enchantment level 3 on a potato crop, there is a chance that you will get 3 full stacks of potatoes or more from an average village farm.
- The old texture of the potato looks like an egg.
- The texture was changed in 18w43a to make it more potatolike.