Compared with a regular chest, a shulker box adds an extra level of convenience by remaining 'intact' (with all of the items still inside of it) when it is broken. It can be carried around with the items inside of it, and it can be placed in the world again with the items still inside of it as well. When it is pushed by a piston, it will be destroyed, but when it is dispensed by a dispenser, it will be placed, thus allowing redstone-powered shulker box "replacement systems" (with pistons, hoppers and dispensers) that cycles through various shulker boxes.
A shulker box can be dyed a particular color by placing it in a crafting table with a dye of a player's choice.
Shulker boxes can be mined with any tool or by hand, but using a pickaxe is the quickest method.
Dyed shulker boxes can be undyed using a cauldron. To do this, right-click a cauldron with water in it while holding a dyed shulker box. This causes the cauldron's water level to decrease by 1, and the shulker box will lose its dye color.
|Shulker Box|| (Dyed) Shulker Box|
|None||Shulker Shell||None||None||Shulker Box||None|
|None||Chest||None||None||Any type of Dye||None|
- The shulker box cannot be crafted down the sides of the Crafting Table. The ingredients have to be down the middle.
- A shulker box cannot be placed inside a shulker box.
- When the shulker box is opened, the opening animation is the same as the shulker's attacking animation.
- When in Creative Mode while having a shulker box full of items, breaking it would duplicate it.
- Prior to 1.14.2 pre-release 1, if a player breaks an empty shulker box while in Creative Mode, the shulker box would drop itself; however, as of this update, empty shulker boxes do not drop themselves when broken while in Creative Mode.
- If the player stands on top of a shulker box and opens it, the player with fall through the shulker box if there are no blocks underneath.