A snowball is (usually) a harmless item that players can throw as a projectile. Back in 1.13 you could throw and barely harm people. But, it would still make someone take damage.
Snowballs are useless in combat except for fighting blazes and the Ender Dragon, but it only does 2-3 hearts of damage. Seven well-aimed snowballs can kill a blaze. When a snowball makes contact with a target, it has a knockback effect that is equivalent to the knockback I enchantment. They can, therefore, be useful to knock a mob or player off a cliff, into a trap, lava, or other hazards. They can also be used to temporarily keep enemies away, by repeatedly knocking them back. Although snowballs do not deal damage specifically to players, they do wear down armor durability, unless it has unbreaking.
Like arrows, chicken eggs, fire charges, and spawn eggs, snowballs can be fired from dispensers, however, they do not collide with the player. They also do not deal knockback to any mobs when shot this way but will still damage blazes.
- Snowballs are ignited when thrown through lava but are not destroyed. They will still burn players, dealing continuous damage.
- Snowballs can be useful while fighting the Ender Dragon in the End, as they can break Ender Crystals, without wasting Arrows, and they can damage the dragon herself.
- There is a glitch where snowballs can sometimes pass through solid blocks.
- There are certain Achievements related to snowballs.
- A player can get infinite snowballs by using a snow golem. This can be done by simply trapping the snow golem and continuously dig the bottom corner of snow it left with a shovel.
- Snowball can deal lots of damage to Blazes, but not other mobs